Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Love for Horticulture

My love for houseplants, horticulture, and indoor and outdoor gardening goes back 20+ years. In the first year I really didn't do too well with plants and was about to give up. An ex-co-worker gave me a cutting of a philodendron, told me to place it in water and sit it on my desk. A couple months later the cutting rooted, she potted the plant for me, and in 3-6 months the plant began to grow.

Fast forward, a few years later and that same little cutting had grown, like a vine, all over my desk. Eventually, I had to take the plant home, went through a 2-3 hour process of carefully placing the vines on my wall with small pieces of white thread and clear tape. In a few months the plant clinged to the walls on its own and begin climbing the walls of my tiny, one-bedroom, efficiency apartment in Oakland, CA. This marked the beginning of my affinity for plants and gardening. Not into vegetable gardens, just flower and indoor gardening. 

A NASA research document came to the conclusion that house plants can purify and rejuvenate air within our houses and workplaces, safeguarding us all from any side effects connected with prevalent toxins such as formaldehyde, ammonia and also benzene.

In another study made in 1996, a bedroom with no plants had 50% more colonies of airborne microbes than a room which contained houseplants.

During a laboratory experiment in 1985, Dr. Wolverton PHD compared the removal of carbon monoxide and nitrogen dioxide using a sealed chamber of spider plants.

In another laboratory study by Dr. Wolverton PHD, he compared a number of house plants at removing formaldehyde from a sealed chamber. Formaldehyde is a common household toxin that is released from a variety of household items.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep comments clean, specific to plants and flowers, thanks in advance.